Did you know that cucumbers are the 4th most cultivated vegetable in the world and are mostly made up of water (95%). They belong in the Cucurbitaceae family of vegetables, along with watermelon, pumpkin and squash.
Cucumbers are often referred as super food and are rich with vitamins B, C & K, manganese, potassium, copper and many more useful ingredients. Below are 7 reasons why you should eat cucumber (at least twice a week):
1. They eliminate toxins in the body – as we said cucumber is 95% water which acts as a virtual broom, sweeping waste products out of your body. This vegetable can also dissolve kidney stones.
2. Reduce the risk of cancer – cucumbers contain polyphenols called lignans (pinoresinol, lariciresinol, and secoisolariciresinol). This ingredients can lower your risk of breast, uterine, ovarian, and prostate cancers.
3. Replenish daily vitamins – one of the rare vegetables that contain most of the vitamins the body needs in a single day. Vitamins B, C and K can boost your immune system, keep you radiant and give you energy. Important note: don’t forget to leave the skin on because it contains a good amount of vitamin C, about 12 percent of the daily recommended allowance.
4. Reduce stress – again vitamins. The multiple vitamins they contain (B1, B5, B7) can easy the feeling of anxiety and reduce the damaging effects of stress. (reducing stress is a great benefit for the skin also, click here to read)
5. Aids in digestion and weight loss – this vegetable is ideal for people who want to reduce their weight, because it has low calorie content and high percentage of water. Also the fiber found in cucumber is great for digestion
6. Refreshes the mouth and your breath – get a slice of cucumber and place it at the roof of your mouth. Hold it like that with your tongue for 40-50 seconds. The phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth which are the primary reason for unpleasant breath. Eating cucumbers may also help to release excess heat in your stomach, which is said to be a primary cause of bad breath.
7. Cures hangover – want to avoid hangover or morning headache? Before you go to sleep eat a few cucumber slices. Cucumbers contain enough B vitamins, sugar and electrolytes to replenish many essential nutrients and reducing the severity of both hangover and headache.